5 Must-Have Steampunk Accessories
Who would have thought that the Victorian era plus steel powered engines would be a fashion trend? Some would even call it a lifestyle! Combining that ancient charm with our modern technology, steampunk is now indelible in the world of aesthetics.
As I have been increasing my own steampunk knowledge I have noticed there is a wide variety of steampunk styles, yet I do not believe they have ever been “officially” defined. I personally think there are 4 types of Steampunk Fashion Styles: Victorian, Wasteland/Apocalyptic, Nautical and Cyperpunk. I go into more detail about each of these styles in my post titled ” 4 Fashions Themes within Steampunk”. Nonetheless, the stereotypical steampunk outfit requires 5 unique and intricately accessories.
5 Must-Have Steampunk Accessories:
1. A Mask or Hat: There is are a variety of masks seen within the steampunk lore. Most include anachronistic technological features like cogwheels, leather, or additional technology to “improve” vision. Some cover your complete face while others have more of a phantom of the opera feel or transport you back to WWII when gas masks were used. Then the epitome of steampunk masks includes the “Plague Doctor Mask” which was historically often an image that produced hysteria & terror as the patients rarely survived the doctors visit.
Steampunk hats may be a better option for the less wild look. Most hats were made out of leather and typically indicated a higher social status historically. The most famous of hat styles is the top hat. Does anyone else automatically think of Abe Lincoln when you hear that phrase? Weird huh? The current fashion is to decorate a top hat with chains, clock wheels, goggles, feathers or anything else that will turn some heads. It’s like a gothic Kentucy Derby.
2. Goggles: These are more like the spice of the outfit. They make the whole outfit adventurous and you do not even have to wear them over your eyes, you could just wear them on your head, or accessorize your hat, or wear them around your neck and you are all spiced up and ready to go.
3. Jewelry: Steampunk necklaces are very detailed and delicately crafted jewelry. Each one tells a different story, this is why centuries later they still remain a fashion must-have in every wardrobe steampunk or not. They are so vintage they will have you yearning for historical times. They are mostly made of brass which makes them even more sophisticated.
4. Gadget or Weapon: The choice is dependent on the “style” you are hoping to achieve. Are you half man half cyborg? Maybe a badass jetpack is what your outfit needs to step up its’ game. Are you going Steampunk Privateer? Then your definitely gonna need a pirate sword. Perhaps your into diesel punk – grab your closet DIY Steampunk Nerf gun and strap that bad boy on your hip!
5. Last but not least steampunk bags or utility belts. That’s right a steampunk bag is an acceptable man purse, the modern version of a messenger bag if you will. This is an affordable option to DIY yourself, simply whip out a glue gun and purchase some vintage trinkets and BAM your all done.
Being a steampunk fashionista you often have to carry around additional weapons, poison vials and an extra set of goggles so utility belts come in handy. I think they give any outfit a adventurous feel and a dangerous edge on your larping counterparts or opponents.
The exciting thing about steampunk fashion is there is no defined limitations just use your imagination! If you choose from the 5 Must Have Steampunk Accessories you are bound to create an epic outfit!
Nerd | Entrepreneur | Blogger
*Special thanks to my friends at Dieselpunk Ro, Talis Mana Designs, Time Watch, Cuckoo Nest Art Studio, Steampunk Art Studio, 4EverStore & Umbrella Laboratory for allowing Steampunk Love & Blog to feature their products within our articles and website.
Hi I’m Audrey W. the owner of Piping Hot Art Works & creator of Steampunk Love & Blog. I began this site because I wanted a more complete steampunk experience where I could find interesting articles, more diversity in a steampunk store & to have fun! I hope you enjoy the site & blog 🙂
Nerd | Entrepreneur | Blogger
Sign Up to Our Blog & Get the Latest Articles & Steampunk Deals!
steampunk Love & Blog at it's best
corsets…the wonder bra of the 16th century LEARN MORE ABOUT ITS’ UPLIFTING HISTORY Oct 8, 2018 SHOP CORSETS TAKE A LOOK Corsets…The Wonder Bra of the 16th Century October 8, 2018 The History of Corsets The word “corset” derives from 1300 CE France and meant “a kind of laced bodice.” Prior to the 16th century
STEAMPUNK WEDDINGS It’s a Nice Day for a Steampunk Wedding! How to make your Steampunk Wedding a SMASHING SUCCESS! Sept 20, 2018 Audrey W. Your wedding day is meant to be a magical dream come true right? Let’s face it though, weddings are stressful, require dozens of decisions and most couples don’t even feel like
INDUSTRIAL HOME DECOR SHOP HOME DECOR SHOP NOW How to Get the Industrial Home Look August 20, 2018 Industrial style home décor is unusual because it follows all of the “no-go” rules for conventional interior design. Instead of covering bare walls and structural elements, it makes a point of keeping them on display. It’s not
4 Genres of Steampunk Fashion August 10, 2018 By: Audrey W. Steampunk fashion emerged as a result of the popularization of the Steampunk literature, which was in return influenced by the scientific fantasies of the 19th century British and American populations. Since Steampunk is based in the era when steam engines had newly gained hype,
who has the time? history of the steampunk watch shop watches shop now History of Steampunk Watch July 18, 2018 Jane W. WEARABLE TECHNOLOGY – WRISTWATCHES The watch was developed in the 15th century as a means to tell the passing of time. It is commonly defined as a “mechanical device, manpowered by winding a
5 must have accessories shop accessories now shop 5 Must-Have Steampunk Accessories Who would have thought that the Victorian era plus steel powered engines would be a fashion trend? Some would even call it a lifestyle! Combining that ancient charm with our modern technology, steampunk is now indelible in the world of aesthetics. As I